Sunday, March 16, 2008

48 Hours in...begining to "get it"

I'm starting to realize why many people choose Linux. It's very flexible and while it hasn't been the easiest adjustment, learning a new operating system has been “fun.” But anyways, here's the second round of good and bad Linux features.

After my laptop had come out of sleep mode I was about to sign in and I noticed an option called “leave a message” and I decided to experiment with it. I discovered that you can type a simple message and then, when the user signs in the messages will be displayed prominently. This just might be my number one wanted feature for windows to add. The uses in the business world for a feature like this are endless. For example, instead of leaving a sticky note on their monitor, just type them a quick message and not only save a few dollars on sticky notes but also cut down on the clutter and have a more professional looking workspace.

What has to be my biggest complaint about Ubuntu has to be the system for installing programs that you download off the internet. I still have trouble installing different programs that I would like to have on my machine. If they could borrow from Windows and develop a system for installation somewhat like an .exe file, because as far as I can tell, there isn't such a system yet.


Currently: working to get my music library transferred to Ubuntu

No comments: