Saturday, March 15, 2008

My First 24 Hours...here goes nothin'!

Wow. I have to admit, the first 24 hours has been rough. But not too rough for me to stay committed to exclusively running Ubuntu on my laptop for at least 30 days. Today I will begin my first multi-part series, every day I will examine a pro and a con of Ubuntu.

One of the first things I attempted to do on Ubuntu was listen to some of my mp3 files, but to my surprise, the included media program that was auto opened when I wanted to play some music (movie player) did not have the ability to play the files without first downloading codecs. This also shows one of Ubuntu's highlights however, as the system developed to find an download these files was the most useful and simple that I could have hoped for. When the player is unable to play a file, it will search for it for you and all you basically do is hold its hand from there and tell it everything is okay.

The most ironic thing I have found in a long time is Ubuntu's administration settings...or lack thereof, I'm not sure. One of, if not the, biggest complaint I have heard about Vista from all the Linux promoters/Microsoft haters is the,admittedly annoying, confirmation popup that you get whenever you try to change a setting or something. I have discovered the same thing in my release of Ubuntu! Not that I really have any problem with it. It's a security feature that has apparently become the easiest way to make people think twice before they do something. I just find it ironic, thats all.


Currently: trying to figure out how get CompizFusion working on Ubuntu. Needs some customness added to it.

No comments: